Thursday

Is IT Still A Viable Career?

As I currently reside in Denver, I spent a lot of my free time hiking in the oxygen-thin air of Colorado’s mountains. Often I will reach a level spot where I have to stop and ask myself if this is a resting place where I can catch a quick breath to continue on or have I reached a plateau where I need to consider if I can go any higher.

Many people are asking that same question about careers in IT - have they reached a plateau or is the current market situation just a short resting place in preparation for the next climb?

The signals from the market are mixed. Almost weekly there is an article or commentary about the projected talent gap in IT due to the impending retirement of baby boomers. The number of college students enrolled in technology programs has decreased and employers fear the demand for IT talent will exceed the available supply.

Yet at the same time we are hearing about more and more companies cutting IT staff, outsourcing development to reduce costs and putting technology projects on hold. Due to the current economic crisis, I personally know very few baby boomers who are actively considering retirement. Most of my baby boomer associates are looking at ways to leverage their experience to keep their careers going.

Is IT still a viable career? When I’m asked that question, I relate the story of my friend Bob. Bob was a history buff. During grade school and high school he constantly read books about historical events. In college, he majored in History and studied it with a passion, eventually obtaining a Ph.D. Even though jobs for history majors are few, Bob devoted himself to the subject. And it paid off.

He worked hard and ultimately became one of the top experts in world history. He is a tenured college professor and has published several books on historical topics. He also conducts executive-level seminars on how to use the lessons of history to create effective business strategies and become more successful. The combination of teaching salary plus book royalties plus speaker's fees provides Bob a comfortable living. In a field with little apparent opportunity, Bob realized that there are always opportunities for those who strive to be the best.

And so it is with IT. The job outlook is debatable and the amount of future job opportunities is open to conjecture. But the same can be said for any number of career paths from marketing to sales to journalism to management. However, there will always be opportunities for those with a passion for technology and who strive to be the best. Granted, they may never become rich, but they will be doing what they love and providing for their families. And in the end, isn't that what a career is all about?